Johannes Gutenberg-University Mainz
Department of Political Science
Unit "Comparative Politics"
Phone: +49 6131 39-26596
E-Mail: bergbauer [at] politik.uni-mainz.de
Office Hours starting on February: on an individual basis via E-Mail.
Room: Georg Forster-Gebäude 04-435
- Born 1983
- 2003-2008: Franco-German double-diploma programme in Social Sciences, University of Stuttgart and Institut d’Etudes Politiques de Bordeaux
- 2008: ‘Diplom’ in Social Sciences and Diplôme de l’Institut d’Etudes Politiques de Bordeaux. Thesis: “Nation first, but Europe too? National identity, national context and identification with Europe in Germany and Great Britain”
- 2008-2009: M.Sc. in Politics (Comparative Government), Department of Politics and International Relations, University of Oxford. Thesis: Growing up, growing together? Development, causes and consequences of democratic attitudes of youths in the unified Germany, 1992-2003
- Since September 2009: Lecturer at the Chair of Comparative Politics, Department of Political Science, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz
- 2012-2014: Junior Fellow of the Gutenberg-Academy for Young Academics Junior Spokesperson of the Gutenberg-Academy during winter and summer term 2012/13
- July 2015: Ph.D. in Political Science at the Johannes Gutenberg-University Mainz, Thesis: „European Identity in Testing Times – Levels and Determinants of Citizens‘ Identification with Europe from the Treaty of Maastricht to Eastward Enlargment and the Eurocrisis“
- European integration/Attitudes toward European integration
- Democratisation and comparative democracy research
- Research Methods in Social Sciences
Stephanie Bergbauer (2012): Using Europe. Territorial Party Strategies in a Multi-Level System, by E. Hepburn, in: Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol. 50, No. 1. (Book Review)
Stephanie Bergbauer (2010): The European Public Sphere and the Media: Europe in Crisis, edited by A. Triandafyllidou, R. Wodak and M. Krzyżanowski, in: Journal of Common Market Studies, Vol. 48, No. 4, pp. 1161-1162. (Book Review)
Conference Papers and Presentations
"Mass-elite linkages in European identity formation”, Paper presented at the workshop “Sources of European identity and support for European integration: a multilevel approach” at the 2012 ECPR Research Sessions, Florence, Italy, June 19-22, 2012.
"Contesting Europe, contesting identity? Party positioning on national and European identity, 1979-2009", Paper presented at the panel "Party Politics, Mobilization and Policy-Making" at 18th International Conference of Europeanists (Council of European Studies), Barcelona, Spain, June 20-22, 2011
"Contesting Europe, contesting identity? An empirical study of party positioning on national and European identity, 1979-2009", Paper presented at the panel „Mass-Elite Linkages in the European Union“ at the Twelfth Biennial International Conference of the European Union Studies Association, Boston, MA, March 03-05, 2011.
"Political parties and the mobilisation of collective identities in European integration", Paper presented at the panel "Political Parties and European Integration" at the Fifth Pan-European Conference on EU Politics, Porto, Portugal, June 23-26, 2010.
"Political parties and the mobilisation of collective identities in European integration", Paper presented at the workshop "The Europeanisation of National Political Parties" at the ECPR Joint Sessions 2010, Münster, March 22-27, 2010.